Monday, January 09, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Jan 9, 2006

Like any other word, respect means different things to different people. One of the things my husband and I did during our trip home, (see entry on Trippy California), was to box up our household stuff and put it on a ship headed for Dubai. The cargo finally arrived this week and we made plans to hire a truck and some laborers to help us transport the massive box from the port to our flat. Seemed like a simple proposition.

So, because all the paperwork was in my name, I was the only person allowed to collect the necessary documents, stamps, authorizations, passes, codes, permissions, inspections, greetings and salutations. We started at 8.45 am. Things were going smoothly at the first port, where the Delivery Order was to be obtained. Snag No. 1 occurred when the shipping company told me they only accepted cash. No problem, that was one snag I had predicted…run to the car, get $176 from hubby. Back at office, I pay up and receive a handful of papers. “Now do I get my box?” No, no, they say, go downstairs to Customs for your stamp.

Now, all hell breaks loose. Downstairs is one huge room with lots of counters with numbers overhead. (Think DMV with chaotic, disorganized cues.) Anyway, I am the only female and only white customer in the entire place. Immediately someone comes up to me, “Madam, let me help you.” This guy takes my paperwork and my passport and we go to one of these offices where, for a fee, they type your paperwork in Arabic. In this little office, after lots of chatter in Erdu and Arabic, an argument ensues about whether customs agents will inspect my box since the Dubai ruler died recently and the emirate is officially in mourning. Additionally the Muslim holiday of Eid Al Adha is about to begin and all government bodies will shut. Things don’t look good.

So here’s me, standing there, not understanding the myriad of languages being used, with all sorts of men helpers. Respectful or disrespectful? As a Westerner, or even more to the point, as a thirtysomething American woman born of a family of educated career-driven women, Type A, rugby and soccer player, let’s just say I was not feeling respected.

At this point, anxious hubby calls from the car and asks why it’s taking so long…While chasing one of my 'helpers' who has now run off with my passport to find someone else, I tell hubby to park, things don’t look good and I will call back.

About 10 minutes later, I realize what is going on and I am working to rectify the situation. These ‘helpers’ are simply freelance customs agents who look for the most helpless-looking people and ‘help’ them through the process, for about $40, while you relax and wait.

Hubby calls again, I relay the message and he decides I need rescuing. He comes in and very manly-like gets me out of the clutches of the helper men and I get back in the proper place for the stamp I need. Respectful or disrespectful?

I am allowed to jump the cue, get a stamp, jump another cue, get a signature, jump another cue, get one more stamp, pay $23 and now, now we are ready to go to Port No. 2 to retrieve the cargo. Why was I able to jump the cue? Because I am a woman, of course. Respectful or disrespectful?

We meet up with our hired truck and mover guys and drive to the second port, which happens to be one of the largest and most successful ports in the world, ranked in the Top 10. After being given wrong directions about three times, we get to the proper gate where only myself and one driver are allowed entrance, for about $9.50 each. We find the warehouse, sign 100 more papers, and get the cargo on the back of the truck. Just when we think we are home-free, they tell us we have to go to customs and get a pass to exit the port.

After some difficulty in finding the customs/inspection house, we stumble upon it and once inside, I am allowed quickly ahead of all brown-skinned males, pay $8, get more paperwork, and leave. All in 5 minutes.

The truck driver, Nawaz’s face was one of utter astonishment. He tells me no one has ever gotten in and out of customs so quickly. I laugh and say, ‘Well, that’s because I am a woman.’ It’s now 2 pm.

Hubby and the other hired laborers had already headed back home to meet us. Nawaz then proceeded to talk his head off during the 45-minute ride home. He explains to me, in a very sweet way, that in his country I wouldn’t be so disrespected. In his country I would be treated like a queen. In his country, I would be in charge of the home only and every desire I had would be catered to by my husband. Because, in Pakistan, “women are respected more than in the Middle East even.”

Wow, I say, so what if I wanted to work outside the home? No, no, he laughs, not a chance. What if I wanted to have male friends? No, no, not a chance, he tells me, in fact, “your brother would be required to kill any male who tried to talk to you if you were unmarried.” Because, he says, Muslim women are respected that much.

(And no, I did not ask him about the honor killings, raping and stoning of women that happen on a regular basis in his country.)

So, while my husband’s culture requires him to respect my right to deal with the hassles of customs on my own if I so choose, these sweet laborers were feeling sorry for me for being disrespected by being allowed to deal with customs at all… For being in the front seat of the truck, for being in the presence of so many uncouth men at the docks, for moving half the boxes myself, for holding a job, for being out of the house at all. All in the name of respect.

Comments:
In Western cultures I think we have come to believe that treating everyone equally equals respect. In previous times and in other places, treating someone specially is an indication of respect. This special treatment can seem unfair - both positively and negatively. You received special treatment at the customs house, unfairly, and would receive special treatment in Pakistan, unfairly, both out of "respect."
I hadn't really thought about this before. As a product of recent Western history, my mindset is geared toward fairness - I dislike everyone, equally.
 
Oh, that was me, anonymous!
Frederick
Degenerate Press
 
I really liked this post, it clearly shows that respect, like faith, truth or freedom, is a very relative concept..

What is (or could be) respectful in the UAE might very possibly be extremely offensive in other cultures...

It would be interesting to compile a list of things that have totally opposite meanings/interpretations in different cultures. Reminds me of an old HSBC ad campaign ;)
 
moryarti;
i've been in social situations where i'm literally the only white dude around, I always try to adhere to the cultural standards and customs, and I find that if I ever mess up, no one i've met so far has gone postal at me about it, they're really usually really nice about it probably because i make half an effort to respect their culture already.

An interesting mention on that list would be the word "bugger", i've heard much crap about it, and apparantly locals get very offended upon its usage.
 
loool @ bugger .. cause it sound like COWS in local slang. It could mistakenly be understood that you are addressing the people - who lead to you the state you say "BUGGER" - as 'buggar' or 'cows' in Arabic!

Don't really now ... thats my $0.02 on sociolinguistics :)
 
Another has to be small talk. In the West, most business people hate it and think it's a waste of precious time. In the East, it's a requirement of any business meeting. Agreed?
 
Not that cunning I'm afraid. More like in my 10-year relationship, I have always been the more proactive, organized one when it come these types of logistical things. I have little doubt my husband would agree that'd he'd rather I take care of these things. Just like my father in my parents' relationship and likely in my grandparents' relationships.
 
I loved reading this...from a western women prospective.
It is really interesting how we look at things and interpret them differently.
I have friends from America and when I speak about how lucky we are not to have to stand in lines...because we are women..some (not all) thought that was sexist..and implies women cant handle things men can..after that I was a little bit more careful when I was about to brag about my privillages..
Not that I feel differently about not having to stand in line..its just the fact that some people will stigmatise our society even further..
I liked the way you decribed the whole situation..I almost felt I ws with you..and to be honest..it is rather uncomfortable for women to be in those places, as its full of men...who will stare at you...to the extent you feel uncomfortable..at the same time..if it was your husband standign in the line..he might be still standing..cause he is just another man...mind you skin colour might make a difference..my assumption...
Welcome to Dubai
 
Little Dubai: I do think the way I am treated -- for better and for worse -- has as much to do with my color as it does my gender. And the thing is, my female friends back home would most likely be offended by the different treatment, as I was when I first moved to the Middle East in 2002. But the truth is, we are all just trying to survive. And it's simply easier to survive if you adapt to the rules, instead of arrogantly trying to impose your own rules. It's a constant lesson for me and it seems I re-learn it a lot!
 
It's something that I have to get used to time and time again too - this preferential treatment that's given to women here.

I feel so guilty when I am able to jump queues, or when people insist that I come up to the counter to be attended to ahead of others (men) who have been waiting longer than me.

But you know what? It should be like this everywhere, and we sure get things done a lot quicker! lol

If only the majority of western world women could get it out of their heads that equality does not mean that chivalry had to die, then perhaps it could be adopted by the western world too!
 
LOL NZM..I totally agree with you...and I feel for you Lizzied...and agree adaptation is easier...I had to learn that the hard way...not in this particular issue though
 
I know you're all bizzy, but please blog more. It's one of my favorites.
 
Thanks sweetie! Well, I leave tomorrow for Thailand and Vietnam, so for sure I will have some blogging to do when I return!
 
still no updates ):

Please update soon!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to WestMeetsEast